Billionaire kidnapper, Evans who is still facing trial over the crimes he allegedly committed, has maintained that his confessional statement was gotten from torture by the police.

While the police claims his statement was obtained under a fair atmosphere and could have even be taken in the presence of a lawyer if Evans hired one, however the billionaire kidnapper who was arraigned before Justice Adedayo Akintoye at the Lagos State High Court in Igbosere on Friday, alleged that human rights lawyer, Mr. Femi Falana (SAN), at the time, came to the Police station to see him, but the Police thwarted the meeting by locking him (Evans) up in a toilet.

According to Evans, his wife Uchenna had contacted the human rights lawyer in 2017 but upon the lawyer’s visit to the Police station, he was told that he (Evans) had been taken out for investigation. Evans who further disclosed that he heard from the toilet he was locked up in, how Falana and the Lagos Coordinator of the Inspector-General of Police Response Team, one CSP Phillip, exchanged pleasantries upon the lawyer’s arrival at Phillip’s office.

Evans who was all tears during his testimony, further disclosed that after being told that he had been taken out for investigation, Falana warned the Police not to come back and claim that the suspect had been shot while trying to escape.

He further insisted that he was forced to put his signature to an already prepared confessional statement by men of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, who had allegedly murdered several suspects in his presence “in Saddam Hussein style.”

“Immediately after my arrest, my wife called Mr. Femi Falana and he came to SARS.

“But CSP Phillip told two armed policemen to hide me inside the office toilet and to tell the lawyer that I was not around.

“I heard Phillip greet him, ‘Good afternoon, sir,’ and Mr. Falana said he wanted to see me. CSP Phillip told Mr. Falana that I had been taken out for investigation.

“Mr. Falana warned him that he did not want to hear that I had been taken for investigation only to be shot dead.

“He said he didn’t want to hear that I was trying to escape and then I was shot dead. He told them that if I had committed any offence, I should be charged to court.”

While the case was adjourned till December 10, Punch reported that under cross-examination by the prosecuting counsel for the state, Mr. Y.G. Oshoala, Evans maintained that his statement was not voluntarily made